Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It's getting hot in here!



O.K. my choice in video for this blog may be a bit extreme, I admit it, but I promise I didn't purposely search for a video from Fox News... I promise, kind of.
O.K. maybe not, but unfortunately, it's not just Fox News who feels this way. For some, this video is not too extreme and is a completely rational way of thinking about all those "liberals" trying to "greenify" America. For others their skepticism is wrapped in a less, shall I say, insanely absurd package and is slightly more rational. Either way, there are still people out there that just don't believe in climate change/global warming/going green and aren't afraid to share their very colorful opinions on those that do believe.

I distinctly remember a day a few months ago, mid December to be exact, when my boyfriend and I had to make a quick stop at our local Walmart to pick up some chips-and-dip for a football party we were heading to. We were in a hurry and went straight back to the chip isle for the tortilla chips. When it took me more than .05 seconds to find the salsa I asked an employee where I could find it. He pointed me in the right direction and as the kind, hardworking and caring employee that he was, decided to strike up a conversation about where I was heading with my chips-and-dip. The conversation quickly turned to football, obviously and soon after to the collapse of the dome on the Minnesota Vikings stadium that had occurred earlier that morning. We talked about how crazy it was, and agreed that it was nothing short of a miracle that it happened while no one was inside. Then, the conversation turned to the weather, it's been almost six months now and it may be hard to remember but this past winter was one of the coldest, hardest winters on the globe in a long time. With record amounts of snowfall across the northern half of the country the destruction was not limited to just the Metrodome in Minnesota. As we were discussing this recent phenomenon he began to shake his head looking down, then, he looked up at me and with a slight laugh said "ya know, I would really like to ask Mr. Gore where his 'global warming' is now." As my body temperature began to rise, and my face started turning red it was all I could do to keep myself from getting into it with a Walmart employee. I took a deep breath and said, as calmly as possible, "well, that's actually not what global warming is, but we wont get into that now." and proceeded to walk away, quickly, dragging my boyfriend along with me.

I was in shock, surely people don't still believe that global warming was a name given with the intent of being literally translated. How could they? There's been enough talk on the issue in recent years that most people should be able to understand that what global warming is referring to is a slight increase in the earth's temperature as a whole, resulting in changes to our climate and weather conditions. As a college student, who was currently enrolled in an environment class for the second semester in a row, this definition of global warming was perfectly clear to me. I guess it wasn't fair for me to assume that a middle aged man, working at Walmart would have the same amount of knowledge, or even the same views as me. After all, he probably went home in his Chevy Suburban, cranked up his heat and flipped on Fox News, all the while still wondering where that danged global warming is.



Global Warming at its finest!


No comments:

Post a Comment