Saturday, June 4, 2011

On Behalf of Humankind

Dear Planet Earth,
On behalf of humankind, I would like to apologize for all that we have done to make you sad.

I'm sorry for exploiting your resources for our benefit, for destroying your magnificent landscapes by tearing down trees and blowing off mountain tops. I'm sorry for looking to the stars with amazement while forgetting about all the wonders on which I stand. You are a kind, welcoming, and nurturing planet one in which we are lucky to inhabit.


I'm sorry for forgetting about the billions of years it took for you to get here and for taking for granted your perfectly balanced atmosphere. I'm sorry for underestimating the sheer power your Mother, Nature, can unleash at any given time. You are a majestic planet, one that deserves our utmost respect.


I'm sorry for disturbing the sensitive ecosystems you have created and for killing the innocent creatures we share our home with. I'm sorry for senselessly polluting your oceans and sky and for seeing only the profits made rather than the damage done. You are a giving planet, one that should be shared, not claimed. 


I'm sorry for neglecting your health while focusing on my own and standing idly by as you slowly deteriorate. I'm sorry for not seeing sooner the ways in which we could help you instead of continue to hurt you. You are a delicate planet, one that should be protected. 


You are a planet that provides a home, food and water, you give us all that we need and we continue to take. You are a planet that provides us with beauty and wonders beyond our imagination, you give us a magnificent place to live and we continue to destroy. You are a planet that provides us with plenty to eat and drink, you give us the ability to be sustained and we continue to waste.

You are the only planet we have and I hope someday soon we are able to see all that we have done, before it is too late.

4 comments:

  1. I think that we should all be apologizing for these same crimes with you. I know I am personally guilty of pollution, not always doing what is best for the planet, taking for granted our beautiful lands, etc. This is our home that provides us with comfortable lifestyles. I hope that people in the future realize these things and make changes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, okay I think I should also apologize for harming the planet also. Sometimes I don't realize how much I affect the planet and I should be more conscious. This is really the only planet we have so I will be more careful and be more green. I should recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really love this post. I like the way it is organized. It's easy to read, looks interesting, and the important things pop. I love the pictures.They make the post look so interesting and original. The message is really important. Most people don't realize all the things they could do that could severely impact the planet in a positive way. I know that I could definitely work on this, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad this post made you (all 3 of you) realize that everyone can make a change. Starting with something as simple as recycling can really help, especially since USF makes it SO EASY to recycle. In most cases finding a recyclig bin instead of a trash can only requires you take a few more steps.

    I hope that you'll also consider the other steps that can be taken as well, I know it's not always easy but you gotta start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete